The CartStart Manual Cart System is a simple approach to the fulfillment of pharmacy prescriptions. It features a
batched or priority-based workflow with designated workstations for picking and labeling and pharmacist verification,
including packaging and manifesting workstations. Orders are moved through the system on specially designed carts that
can be designed to hold a variety of totes or cooler sizes.
How CartStart Works for Specialty Pharmacies*:
- A cart with empty totes is placed by a station where pick tickets are printed.
- A technician places pick tickets into empty totes/coolers, then selects the requested medications.
- The technician delivers picked orders to prescription labeling workstations from the carts, and then on to pharmacist
- Pharmacist places the tote or cooler onto the workstation and verifies the order by comparing the content with the
pick ticket and an item image on their screen.
- The tote containing verified prescriptions travels to a manual packaging workstation.
- Technician packages the order by scanning the pick ticket.
- Technician places the finished packages into a container where it is passed to a weighing and manifesting station to
be prepared for shipment or delivery.
- Empty totes are placed back onto the carts and moved back to the order picking station.
*CartStart workflows are determined by pharmacy operations, need and design and may vary. Consult an expert at Tension
for a workflow to drive efficiency in your pharmacy.